Ouvrages d'une Acadienne

Ouvrages d'une Acadienne
Expo-Couverte Quilt Show

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Maritime Beauty...

and what a beauty this pattern is.....by designer.. Karen Neary from Nova Scotia. I had this project on my to-do list since October last year. I bought it at the workshop I had attended by Karen and looked at it, I can almost bet, every month, wanting to get to it. You know when you have a bit of anxiety when faced with a new procedure in a quilt project? Well I admit that was the reason I kept putting it off. Then one day, I was visiting Karen's site and I saw the Maritime Beauty made by Linda . I left her a comment and she e-mailed me back saying how much fun she had making it. So with that inspiration the fear left me and here is my first Maritime Beauty I made it into a runner for a specific table.
and I used the last of my Birchwood lane fabric! ( I really don't know what I was thinking when I purchased all that fabric. There just didn't seem to be an end to it)

I love my table runner and I am looking at ways to quilt it. I will post it again when I have it all done! The pattern is so easy to follow and fun to make. Every time I have made a paper piecing project I have really enjoyed it yet I go through that element of anxiety before attempting it.

Speaking of quilting...the CGQC theme for the next two months is
I have very limited experience with this topic as I have my faithful friend, Agnes, who looks after all the hand quilting on my big projects. I am so grateful to her for all the wonderful work she does on my quilts and it is inspiring me to do some hand quilting. I have made this a goal ..."to learn how to hand quilt properly". ..more experienced quilters tell me ... 9 stitches to the inch?..

I am reading books...
and enjoying all the designs one can make on a quilt..wow!

I especially like to visit the Amish Quilt site and look at the stitching close up.. wow!

I am also venturing into machine quilting although I am not into long arm quilting, just standard machine quilting.. I enjoy doing the stippling but again the element of fear has stopped me from going further into the free motion quilting. That is why I signed up for the


So that is where I am at with the quilting and my hope is that I will one day do all the quilting on my projects........

Yesterday being a holiday .. I picked up a new project
I choose the "Buggy Barn".... "Folk Art" Fabric...

and cut all my pieces...

then as the evening wore off I relaxed with a good "new"book


and what a book it is.. and another Canadian designer ....Cheryl Wall....

My goal is to make each and everyone of the quilts in this book. I was inspired to do this by our friend CG Darlene who made all the projects in the Schnibbles Times Two and since she challenged herself to do that I have been waiting for a book that would let me set that exact same goal. I found it!!!

When I told hubby about my goal he said, "So that would be, what, a two year project?" My answer, "no deadline just one project at a time"!

9 comments:

  1. Joan, you and I DEFINITELY have the same fabric color palette. I always love seeing your creations because I know I'd do the same pattern in the same colors....LOL I really like the Buggy Barn Folk Art fabrics.

    And your table runner is WONDERFUL !!!

    No book challenges for me I'm afraid. Right now I am challenging myself to do the Projects Pile I want to do for Christmas for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Beauty. It turned out great. Makes me feel good to know I inspired you! I am starting another of Karen's patterns "Farrago".

    Your book challenge is very interesting and sounds like something I may do in the future. I am going to check out the book by Cheryl Wall. I have not seen this book before and I just love the one on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, your Maritime Beauty variation is so clever - I love it - and many thanks for your very kind words. The quilt on the cover of Cheryl's book is lovely- looks like honey (or maybe I'm just seeing honey everywhere these days!) - I can hardly wait to see what you do with her designs.
    See you next month at Fibre Festival! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan - your table runner is just stunning - oh good for you on conquering your fears and going for it, so lovely!
    I'm handquilting a quilt right now, I can't believe how much I've missed it. More important than stitches to the inch is EVEN stitches - get that goal accomplished and the size will come. I'm not the greatest but I love it more than anything. I'm doing the free-motion quilt along too, isn't it fun?
    Love your new books and have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Joan - your projects are so lovely - always very inspiring work here! And, thanks for much for sharing about your experience with quilting, and the books, too! I hope we can both conquer our fear and venture into the free-motion quilting deep this month (smile)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such ambitious goals! I'll be watching to see all the beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful project. I like spikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous table runner! I will have to find the book Country Comforts...looks like a good one. It will be fun to see the quilts you make from this one. I have slowly been making my way through one of Jo Morton's books, have made 4 so far! Last Sunday evening, we had an Irish fest here in Kansas City...and I fell in love with a band from Nova Scotia....Pogey. They were great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new maritime beauty is fabulous!
    Your new project is wonderful - love the fabric too.

    ReplyDelete