Ouvrages d'une Acadienne

Ouvrages d'une Acadienne
Expo-Couverte Quilt Show

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Happy labour day week-end

An extra long week-end for me with Friday afternoon off called for a bit of sewing on my September projects. So, I am all excited and venture to my sewing room where serenity reigns. I cut away the chosen fabric for my table runner . Oh! it looks good! The pieces are ready to be sewn so I gather them all and start the process.. Still looks good!Oh no! I cut this piece the wrong way and I don't have any other fabric! boohoo boohoo...Not looking so good now..
Oh well! all is not lost;I have enough cut the right way to make the smaller version of my table runner but that was not my intentions. So I leave the sanctuary of my sewing room to go into my kitchen... I hate to admit it but food is a great comfort when I'm down....I decided to bake... what better scent than the fresh smell of baked apple pie right out of the oven! These will disappear fast when the family comes over for our labor day dinner. This holiday week-end calls for my favourite blueberry dessert, especially at this time of the year when fresh blueberries are in abundance.
This is a delicious dessert where every bite has the taste of blueberries.


Nova Scotia Blueberry Cream Cake:
1½ cups all-pupose flour
½ cup white sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
½ cup butter
1 egg
1 tsp.vanilla
4 cups blueberries ( fresh or frozen )
2 cups sour cream
½cup white sugar
2 eggs yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 375º F (190º C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
In a medium bowl , stir in the flour,½ cup of sugar,and baking powder. Mix in the butter by pinching with fingers until it resembles course crumbs. Stir in the egg and 1 tsp vanilla. Pat lightly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Pour blueberries over the top of mixture.
In another medium bowl, whisk together sour cream,½ cup of sugar, egg yolks and 1 tsp vanilla until smooth. Pour over the blueberries.
Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven until top is lightly browned. Cool completely, then run a knife around the edge of the pan. Remove the outer ring of the pan, and cut into wedges to serve.
Enjoy....from Joan's kitchen
The afternoon spent in my kitchen made me stop and reflect on a vision of a table runner in the longer version; so off I go to cut the new one with special attention to that piece which I cut wrong. They say you will not forget the mistake you made, the next time around, but I am not taking chances, I wrote it on my pattern, in BOLD letters.

This one I am making it (same pattern Twist and Turn) in the Kansas Troubles .. Cranberry Wishes.....

9 comments:

  1. AAAHHH!!! So frustrating for you. We have all done it and yet forge on with new projects! I find it is good to walk away as well and regroup and then move on. good luck with the Cranberry Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!! I'm on my way for Blueberry cake and apple pie! I think I can smell them from here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't that cake look delicious! I thought the table runner matches the cake! Must be inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your desserts look scrumptious and I am going to try the blueberry recipe tomorrow; I can't wait to see what the inside looks like. Good luck on your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - can I come over and make some mistakes so that you'll bake for me? That looks so YUMMY!!!! And so does your tablerunner. It really helps to take a break sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too make mistakes when cutting. My sister says I rush too much but that is also the reason I get so much done. You are a talented baker, the pies are perfect and the blueberry dessert made me drool. I copied the recipe and will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blueberry dessert looks WONDERFUL! And the funny thing is, I bought one of those spring form pans about 6 years ago (?) (not kidding) and I think I'm going to use it this weekend - making your cake! Oh, and can't wait to see your runner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joan, What great deserts! You have a lovely family. I too was drooling over your apple pies. Oh, love your projects for the CGQC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate it when I make a mistake in cutting -- Yes, comfort food would be good there. Your food looks so wonderful, Joan. I'm going to have to try that blueberry cake. Can't wait to see your new table runner.

    ReplyDelete